Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Why is Health important to me?

Maintaining my health has probably been one of my constant battles especially within the past two years. I can attribute that to stress, one of the pillars of health. I define health as combination of mental, physical, and social well-being as well as being free of illness and disorder. Health is a dynamic condition resulting from a body's constant adjustment and adaptation in response to stresses and changes in the environment for maintaining an inner equilibrium called homeostasis. The five pillars of health are nutrition, exercise, sleep, stress, and social happiness. The hardest pillar to uphold for me would be nutrition because I tend to down carbohydrates in response to the excess stress and lack of sleep especially in junior year. Because of I have severe and immediate allergies to heat, pollen, and dust and must take a lot of medication for it, my body feels constantly exhausted. This has taken a negative effect on my exercise regiment. I have been Bollywood dancing since elementary but had to quit last year because I was so fatigued from dancing and allergies that I couldn't focus on school work. But despite all the setbacks, this year I have started dancing again and I hope that will keep my fitness high because it is a very cardio active sport. Because of my mom and all the well balanced meals she cooks for me, my nutrition is also not that great of a problem. Even though I do eat a lot of carbohydrates my dance will allow me to burn them.
The Five Pillars of Health
 

No comments:

Post a Comment