Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Unit 1 Reflection

This unit was mainly about histology,the study of tissues, and an overall general introduction into anatomy and physiology. This included topics such as how to use to use anatomical terms to precisely describe the location of features in an organism, an introduction to homeostasis and the systems of the human body,the hierarchy from atom to biosphere, the four biological macromolecules, and a breif overview of the structure and functions of the organelles in a cell.
One essential question of this unit was how does the structure of a tissue- or anything- relate to it's physiology. There are different ways to classify epithelial cells depending on their structure (simple/ stratified/ squamous/ cubodial/ columnar) they have different structures. For example pseudostratified columnar cells are good at maximizing diffusion.
In general one can say form fits function when relating anatomy to physiology.
I had known that cells make up tissues and that there are different types of tissue ( I recall that from freshman biology and APBiology) but through this unit I learned that there are four types of tissues epithelial, connective, muscle, and nervous. I hadn't even know about the various classifications of epithelial tissues until this unit.
But I still don't full understand how I can determine what type of epithelial tissue it is given a microscope sample. I hard to differentiate between cubodial and squamous and when it is stratified or pseudostratified. It seems simple in drawings but once you look at the real thing it is kind of confusing. The Quizlet terms were hard to differentiate and I was only able to figure out my memorizing the color of the dyes. For the next unit I will ask the teacher if I am confused about an issue before the test.
In a real world application I think knowing the anatomical terms would be beneficial to become a surgeon (the type of doctor I want to be). As a surgeon, one would need to know how to cut a human body using terms like midsagital, transverse, frontal, and/or oblique. I have heard surgeons in the show "Grey's Anatomy" use terms like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment