Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Unit 2 Health Reflection

What is health? There are five pillars of health; they are nutrition, the nutrients needed to support growth and energy needs: exercise, using body to give energy and stave off disease: sleep, rest and restore body: stress, managing constant changes to body and mind: and social, the way we interact within our environment. On a scale of one to ten, one being the worst and ten being the best, I would rate myself a seven and the rest of SHS the same, a seven. Yes, we are able to wake up each morning and carry on with school and turn in our assignments but most of us are unable to fully concentrate during class, and that is because most of us don't get enough sleep (one of the pillars of health), a common problem among teenagers. One way to promote greater health and wellness on campus would be to encourage students to get more sleep. Students should not be awake at three in the night and they should get to sleep by twelve the latest. But unfortunately this is easier said then done because of the large workload many students at SHS have.
One of the major essential understandings of this unit is that hormones like insulin, leptin, glucagon, and cortisol are chemicals messengers that help regulate body mechanisms, maintain homeostasis and thus keeping one healthy. The six classes of nutrients include carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, vitamins, minerals, and water. The amount of nutrients we need varies based on age, sex, body type, activity level, and health status. Regular physical activity reduces risks of many adverse health outcomes and that if you do opt for a greater intensity workout, you can do less of it to gain the benefits. Sleep is a sensory shutdown and is immediately reversible. During sleep your body releases hormones essential for growth and development, that is why kids need more sleep, and sleep is also necessary to cope with the day's stresses. There are three stages of stress, alarm phase, resistance phase, and exhaustion phase.
Through this unit, I have learned that there are so many things I can do keep up health. For example I could choose foods rich in fiber, high in Omega-3, and much more proteins than what I am eating now. Before this unit, I hadn't known that Omega-3 is important for brain and heart health. The only type of exercise I get is Bollywood dancing that I do for only about three to four hours a week. Bollywood dancing is a form of aerobic exercise and I need to do more yoga anaerobic exercise and more muscle-strengthening workouts. Also I wouldn't hurt for me to sleep in an extra hour or two over the weekends to make up my sleep debt over the week.
I still don't understand that if the body secretion of oxytocin helps the body reduce stress, why do women release oxytocin, the adrenalin needed to push, when giving birth? Doesn't that add to the stress of physical labor?
For the next unit I will ask more questions during the lecture to build upon the information released and help me relate it to real life issues.
In the article, " A Long Night's Journey into the Day," the author describes sleep as something that is like a switch and that once you are asleep and dreaming you won't be able to realize that you are dreaming. I, along with some of my friends, have experienced lucid dreaming; we are able to realize that we are dreaming, we are sleeping and so this contradicts what the article said.

My health goals are to get more sleep and eat more protein and dairy.
Actions I will take to achieve my goals is to sleep more on the weekends and drink milk and  add beans and tofu to my diet.
My healthy life is important to me because I wish to have good health far onto my 30s and 40s. Good health means more happiness.
I will know when I reached my goals when I start gaining muscle mass and not abdominal fat and feel more alert and awake during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment